Our 8 Frame Medium Honey Bee Nucs are the perfect way to get started with beekeeping or to expand your apiary.
Our honey bees are local stock and we make our own splits and nucs. Our nucs are either overwintered nucs or splits from our overwintered stock.
Each Nuc includes the following: Laying Queen & Bees, 8 Frame Bottom board, 8 Frame Entrance Reducer, 8-9 Frames with Drawn Comb, Simple Plywood Top.*
This is an active and established hive that is ready to go. 8 frame medium hives have several advantages over 10 frame deep hives with medium supers.
- Lighter boxes: One of the most difficult parts of beekeeping is lifting the heavy boxes. An 8 frame medium hive weighs full of honey weighs 48 pounds. A 10 frame medium honey super, weighs 60 pounds. And there are a few crazy people who are using 10 frame deep honey supers which weigh 90 pounds full of honey. I’ve lifted a lot of boxes and I can tell you any box full of honey is HEAVY. Save your back, you only get one.
- Interchangeable Frames: Since all frames are the same depth (Brood boxes and supers), frames can be moved anywhere in the hive interchangeably. This gives you as the beekeeper the tools you need to manage your bees more easily. Have some brood in your honey supers? Just move it down into a lower box. Want to make splits with the excess honey from your honey supers? No problem because every frame is interchangeable.
- Simple Nucleus colonies. If you want to make a split from your hive you can use your standard 8 frame box to make a nucleus colony rather than purchasing or building a separate 5 frame nuc. 8 frame medium boxes are just about the same size as the common 5 frame deep boxes.
- Easier foundationless beekeeping: It is a little easier to work with foundationless frames with a medium frame than a deeper frame. This allows you to save money on purchasing foundation and makes it easier to get straight combs in the frames. *Note: Foundationless beekeeping is not necessarily recommended for the beginner beekeeper.
- Less expensive tops and bottoms: Because the 8 frame equipment is narrower than 10 frame equipment your tops and bottoms can be less expensive and if you’re making your own, you can get more per sheet of plywood.
*Note: The equipment in these nucs is used equipment. You are welcome to continue using the equipment or simply remove the frames and add them to your own hive. This helps us to rotate our equipment and gives your hive a great start!
Pickup date is June 18, 2022. 9AM to 7PM.
We offer a full money back guarantee: If you are unsatisfied with your bees for any reason, bring back the original equipment and bees within 30 days and we will issue a full refund.